Thursday, June 16, 2011

For a few good reads..

So if I may reiterate the whole "non-expert" thing...  I'm not going to fall into the hype of blogging about eating primal.  I am no shining example.  In fact, I am still on the road to learning about primal living.  Thanks to Sarah Fragoso's book "Everyday Paleo" I am taking the road cautiously and gently.  For now, I still take creamer in my coffee, I sneak ice cream when no one is looking, and I shop at Costco for bulk fruits and veggies because it agrees with my wallet.

Some blogs I find to be interesting, inciteful, fun, and entertaining is what you'll find in today's post. 

1.  Closet Cooking - This blog features seasonal faire and creative recipes.  LOTS of fresh foods and beautiful pictures and while it may seem you have to be a somewhat experienced cook, anyone is certainly capable of mimicking these tasty dishes on their own.  If you're looking for Paleo or Zone type recipes, this may not always be the site for you, but it can definitely help give you ideas in creating your perfect primal foods.

2.  Ivory Hut - Filipino foods brings me back to my roots.  I love white rice, I love the salty and sweet flavors of filipino cuisine, the unique tropical fruits and vegetables, and I love cooking filipino food at home (which has been scarce lately).  Unfortunately, I do not indulge in white rice quite as much as I used to but when I do, I go straight to the comfort foods.  The author of this blog does not focus solely on Filipino cuisine but does feature her favorites.

3.  Make Up Geek - Okay, so this blog has NOTHING to do with food, but thats okay!  While I have been enjoying my recent work out routine, I still have to put my face on for the work day.  I tend to get lots of crap about having makeup on at the gym, but its not like I'm a "re-applier" :)  Anyway, great site for tutorials, makeup reviews, and they have even began hair tutorials. 

4.  Pura Vida Nutrition - A high school classmate created this blog and its really a great read!  She covers a wide array of topics, from nutrition - to working out - to fad diets.  She emphasizes the importance of eating clean by educating her readers on the benefits of "quality" nutrition.   

5. Crossfit Mom - I love this site!  Mostly because I love seeing pictures of basketball-bellied moms doing snatchs, cleans, pull-ups etc.  I am inspired by these women because I know that sometime in the near future I will be just like them.  We are planning on expanding our family soon and I think its important for me, personally, to focus on exercise and nutrition before that time comes.  I know the struggles I had during the first child and while I tried my very best to stay active - I did not focus on nutrition.  I gained weight I didnt even know was possible.  It took about as long as I was pregnant to lose that weight.  I want to bounce back quickly this time.  I'll cover the benefits of working out during pregnancy in another post, but until then, enjoy this site all you moms and moms-to-be!

5.  The Foodee Project - RECIPES!!  Most of the time easy, quick recipes to living primal!  I learned about this site through my bff Lisa's hubby, Ben.  They are crossfit owners, Paleo enthuisiasts (sometimes thru marriage :)) and the people who inspired me to give crossfit an honest try.  So far, their advice has been on point! 

These are just a few that I enjoy reading, mostly because I have some sort of personal connection to them.  Anyhow, I'll be making a list of blogs I follow shortly. 

~Kat

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat!
Welcome back to blogland! I'll have to visit some of the blogs you listed. I have been to the Ivory Hut and may have it, in fact, on my list of "other nests to visit" on my own blog. I will add a link to your blog on that list and look forward to coming along with you on your journey. I am going to yoga regularly but could use some inspiration to get back to the gym myself....especially with a wedding in the family approaching in November. Have a happy day and give little Jordan a hug. xoxo Kim

Post a Comment