Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Here we go again..

My last attempt at blogging really failed, so I'm going to give it one more try.  Considering its been almost two years, I have a clean slate, right?  Anyway, new year, new interests, new way of living.  Nothing - might I add - that I am any kind of expert on, but I'm sure you're all dying to hear my opinion :)

Since I do have a new set of interests, I guess I'll start my first blog telling you about it.  I recently joined a new gym.  Its a crossfit gym.  Yes, I joined the craze but I will tell you.. as much as it is an ass kicker, it has also been pretty rewarding in just the few months that I have been a member. 

To start, let me tell you about Crossfit.  Its bascially a strength and conditioning program that is scalable but that incorporates weightlifting, endurance, gymnastics, agility, etc..THE WELL ROUNDED athlete!  Most crossfit gyms are anything but your stereotypical athletic clubs.  You wont see any elipticals there and you definitely will not be sweating to the oldies.  You will, however, learn to power lift, get stronger, feel better, and build great relationships with others who are just as dedicated to fitness as you are. 

Typical Athletic Club:
-Weight Machines
-Treadmills/Elipticals
-Aerobic Classes

Crossfit Gym:
-Medicine Balls
-Kettle Bells
-Jump Ropes
-Pull up Bar
-Bar Bells
-Weight Plates
-Weight Sleds
-Boxes
-Ropes
-Rowers (the only "machine" in a CF gym)



Here's my disclaimer:  I am your average girl.  I have some extra pounds I could lose, I have been pregnant, gained all the weight that came with it plus some, and I am incredibly BUSY!  All the same excuses that I know most of us moms have.  I can tell you honestly, that although it makes for a "quick dinner" kind of night, getting that exercise that your body needs will help you to combat the challenges of daily life and help you deal with them better than before. 

The progress I have made has been very surprising and QUICK!  When I started I couldnt do a pull up unassisted without the heaviest band strapped around my feet and now I have the luxury of doing them without any assitance at all.  2 months max, going only 3 times a week.  You do the math.  I'm not going to write a novel about my experience so instead, I'll keep you posted! 

Otherwise, check out Kitsap Crossfit for more info!

Stay busy!
~Kat

0 comments:

Post a Comment