Monday, June 27, 2011

Peanut Booty

Peanut Booty.  One of Rueben's many nicknames.  :) 

My hubby has been gone for a couple of weeks now for work and I have really been missing him.  The house is quiet (for the most part) and life is a little more hectic running around doing it all alone so the heart is growing a little fond right now.  So... since I'm feeling so in love, I'll go ahead and gush about my husband today :)

Rueben grew up playing sports.  He played pee-wee football and soccer and as young teens him and his best friend ended up bonding in the weight room.  There is definitely something to be said about getting your kids playing sports at an early age.  They maintain fitness throughout their life and eventually pass it on to their kids.  (Not to mention all of the other pro's to student athletes; good grades, staying out of trouble, less possibility of drug use, etc).   Jordan is going to be a busy little girl.


Peanut Butter and Killa Cade
 Since I have known Rueben he has had this serious commitment to the gym.  When we first started dating back in 2005 it was required for him to workout.  He was a linebacker on CWU's football team.  I remember the grueling summer two-a-days and the 5am winter season workouts.  He was the lame one who wouldn't want to go out on $1 Corona nights because he had to get up for winter ball workouts (now I wouldn't blame him one bit!) the next morning.  And even when he did go out and get a little loose, first thing he did in the morning to cure his hangover was hit the gym!  I always thought the guy was either obsessed or crazy.  Now that our college days are over, he still hits the gym everyday like clockwork.  Whether its PTing with his unit or doing it solo - the man does not slack on his fitness. 


2008-09 Deployment
 Rueben does not work out for purposes of vanity.  He is not looking to be the sexiest guy in the gym with the wash board abs.  A good time for him is not running 3 miles or dead lifting 505 lbs.  Working out is simply not a hobby for him.  However, working out and maintaining functionality is incredibly important to him.  I know because we've had several conversations about this.  Being in the Army has it's pluses when you look at its physical requirements.  He has to keep his body in tiptop shape because, quite frankly, he is getting paid to and it is required.  He needs to be functional, quick, and agile on the battle field.  He needs to be physically ready to go to war at a moments notice [so to speak]. 

I admire his commitment to fitness and wish I were more like him.  He does not obsess over his imperfections, like I do.  He does not feel guilty if he decides to eat a burger and fries, like I do.  He does not compare himself to other guys, like all us women do.  He simply wants to be in the best shape possible if he were to be deploy tomorrow.  He does this all FOR HIMSELF.  To be his personal best. 

Courtesy of KCF: Rueben's KCF record of 505# deadlift on his 3rd day.

Rueben is so supportive of my new adventures at KCF.  He has always been that way.  When I have a goal I want to reach, he helps push me to it.  He asks everyday how my workout went and cheers me on when I reach new goals.  Can't wait for him to join me in the box when he gets home! 

Love you babe. 

~kat

0 comments:

Post a Comment