Thursday, June 23, 2011

Going Dairy-Free..

So one of the "rules" of going Paleo is going dairy-free.  Because, let's be honest, what caveman could have possibly been pounding a glass of milk in his hey-day?!? 

Anyway, I have found a few alternatives to dairy.  Some that may be okay in the "Paleo" world and some probably not, but as I have said before, we start out easy... 

Coconut Milk (unflavored) has been part of my morning routine now.  Instead of the usual smoothie with non-fat milk, I use So Delicious Coconut Milk.  The conisitancy is alot like cows milk, it does not have the typical coconut flavor to it, and since I really only drink milk in my liquid breakfasts I have not noticed a difference in taste at all. 

I have also began using coconut creamer instead of what I used to use (Coffee Mate, Fat Free French Vanilla creamer).  It is also made by So Delicious and it is also French Vanilla flavored (ingredients may include some things not so "Paleo") but like we said before, baby steps help make the transition.  Or, at least.. my transition.  And speaking of things not so paleo, let me just throw it out there that Trader Joe's has a chocolate coconut ice cream, not that I've bought a pint of it or anything..

One coconut product I will say that I do not particularly care for would be coconut water.  I was walking through Central Market one day and saw cans of coconut water on sale so I thought I would try it out.  Not really sure what I was expecting, but the flavor was not for me.  It went down smooth but left me with a grassy after taste.  It tastes how you would expect the brown hair on a mature coconut to taste like if you were to ball it up and attempt to chew it.  Yah, I know.  Not the best description but I'm not really sure how else to describe the flavor.  Maybe I just got a bad coconut or something :p

We wont talk about cheese right now... let's just say I haven't eaten cheese in about a week.  So far so good (in my book). 

Off to KCF... Enjoy the rain on this TYPICAL Washington Summer Day!

~kat

0 comments:

Post a Comment