Friday, June 24, 2011

PNW Spring/Summer (so far) has been a drag.. Vitamin D please?

Those of you who live here in the Pacific Northwest know exactly where I am going with this..  This Spring/beginnings of Summer have been such a drag!!!  I've never really been to a point where I have been so sick of the weather that I am just dying to get away, but this year has been an all time low in terms of Vitamin D intake.  

I think I saw someone post it on facebook or something but "we shouldn't feel lucky to have nice sunny days, alot of other places get the sunshine everyday for free".  I couldn't agree more.  There is something about a sunny day that brings smiles, positive attitudes, motivation, and best of all jacket-less days in the backyard bbqing and drinking cocktails.  Us, PNW'ers, live for summer!!  We get 3 months a year to bask in the glory and beauty of Western Washington WHILE THE SUN IS OUT!  Years like this just take a toll on people (or me, as you can tell by this rant). 

While working out and eating right does help with my attitude, I do add a little pick-me-up in pill form.  Yes, I try to take my Vitamin D every morning.  Its my personal decision, and so far it has helped give me the motivation and outlook I need to get through this painfully sun-less year.  Its other benefits include regulating calcium and phosphorus, preventing vitamin D deficiency (Rickets), treating skin conditions, and PMS (to name a few). 

An excellent source Vitamin D can also be found in fatty fish, like tuna, salmon and mackerel.  It is also found in dairy products and cereal (both of which are "paleo no-no's").  If you are against supplements, look to these foods for that "sunshine" vitamin.  Oh, and add free range eggs to that list.  Not the best source, but a good source.

I want the REAL thing, don't get me wrong - but until I see that sun shining and I'm out soaking it up through my skin, I'll stick to the pill form. 

Happy Summer everyone in the Southern Latitude! :\

~kat

0 comments:

Post a Comment