Wednesday, July 6, 2011

FL Countdown - Day 50: Technique vs. Heavy Weight

This is a topic that came up more than once yesterday while trying to do a 4 set deadlift max.  Being fairly new to crossfit, I find it incredibly rewarding to move up in weight.  It feels awesome to know that through the sweat, soreness, and (damn near) muscle failure I am getting stronger and improving everyday.  With that said, I am making a new commitment to myself today.  Technique is priority.  Weight will come later. 

Too many times we injure ourselves trying to lift the heavier weight because well, let's be honest, being strong is pretty cool.  Add to that the motivation from our peers, our own personal records, gym records, or even just the reaction from others "You lifted how much?  That's amazing! " or "Holy smokes, you're a powerhouse!" etc.. (I'll stop at my dumb attempts to sound motivating).  Anyways, it feels good to increase the weight and really see that progress we yearn for.  However, what I've noticed in the gym is that heavy weight usually means your technique tends to struggle.  Hence the potential for injuries.

Thank goodness for KCF Coaches who help keep us in line when our form is less than perfect.  Brandi kept me honest yesterday.  :)

Today I took full advantage of my commitment to form and technique.  I did not lift as much as I would have liked to, however, I got my ass kicked (in true crossfit nature) and "felt" my workout.  It's not an easy task to keep good form through an entire workout but I did my darndest to do so!

Wednesday's WOD in 19:17.  It was tough and I really struggled on those front squats.

Meals for the day:
Breakfast:  2 Eggs w/ Chicken & Apple Sausage, 2 cups of coffee
Lunch:  AmyLu Chicken Burger w/ greens, Watermelon
Dinner:  Marinara Meat Sauce w/ Spaghetti Squash
Dessert:  Paleo Brownie


Spaghetti Squash (excuse the lighting, darn energy efficient bulbs)


0 comments:

Post a Comment