Tuesday, July 26, 2011

FL Countdown - Day 29: Gram's 88th!

What is the secret to a long healthy life?  Well, in recent months I think I have a pretty good idea of what that answer might consist of.  Crossfit and Paleo.  However, I also have a shining example.  My grandma.

Today is my grandma's 88th birthday.  88 years and still going strong.  She is independent.  She cooks, cleans, rides the bus to places she wants to go (though not so often anymore), still has the energy to put on her cutest outfit and makeup when she is going somewhere special.. I guess my point is at 88 she is healthy and strong enough to take care of herself.


Happy 88th Gram!  To many more healthy, vibrant years!

   

Pork Sinigang, Pancit, Diniguan (Chocolate Meat), and Pinakbet

I would attribute her graceful aging first and foremost to her diet.  There is a pretty clear distinction from being raised in the Philippines versus being raised in the states.  There you cook just about every meal for the day.  You eat fresh fruits and vegetables from the farm, fresh meats and fish from the market, little to no processed food, and drink LOTS of water.  The market places back then were not filled with candy, soda, and fast fried food.  You delighted in lychee fruit, mangos, and papayas straight off the tree.  The caribou, goat, and chicken were raised on the farm and fed from the land, a land free of pesticides and harmful chemicals.  My grandma grew up on the Paleo Diet just didnt know what to call it :)  Goes to show that eating organic can really add years to your life.

My grandma came to the U.S. about 27 years ago.  She came over after my brother Michael was born to help my mom take care of us kids.  She also raised 8 children, ran a few businesses her and my grandpa had, and then went on to take care of us grandkids.  She clearly had an active lifestyle.  Up until two years ago she volunteered at a preschool four days a week.  Now she enjoys her family, reading, and watching TFC (The Filipino Channel).

An obvious favorite.. LUMPIA

Happy Birthday Gram!  To many more healthy years!  We love you!

~kat



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother...definitely a great role model and a beautiful person! Grandma, we wish you many, many more happy birthdays! Love, Kim, Mark & family

Post a Comment