Friday, July 1, 2011

Florida Countdown - Day 56: Sleep... or lack there of..

Britney Spears was amazing last night!!  One of the best shows I've seen by far.  Got home at midnight and woke at 6am.  With that said, can you imagine how tired I am today?  I even felt a little queasy this morning (no, I did not drink last night), but the lack of sleep always makes me a little sick. 

Everyone I know in the fitness and nutrition industries tend to really harp on the importance of sleep.  Its obvious why we should get an adequate amount of sleep, 1) Our bodies need the rest to function, 2) Our brain needs it too, 3) To provide us with energy, etc..

How peaceful is baby Jordan?
I have always been an advocate for sleep. 
Some facts about me and sleep: 

 -   Going to bed at 9pm is late.  "Early to bed, early to rise". 
 -   I'm a morning person.  I can't stay up late for anything.
 -   I can fall asleep just about anywhere.  Really.
 -   A night of consuming alcoholic beverages usually means a sleepless night for me.  :(
 -   My toddler has been sleeping in my bed interrupting my "rules" of sleep. 

Since Jordan has boycotted her bed, my healthy sleep patterns have been struggling.  But what does lack of sleep do to you when you're hitting the gym hard and eating right?

1.  It does not allow your muscles time to recover and repair from a workout.  Your body needs about 8-9 hours to do so.

2.  It increases hormonal stress levels which equals negative impact on performance, mood swings, and depression.

3.  It is a contributing factor in obesity, diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.  Something about not managing glucose levels because your cells become insulin resistant... You know, technical stuff.  I get it though.

Sufficient sleep plays a major role in who we are.  We are better people when we are well-rested.  How great do you feel after a good nights sleep??  You feel ready to tackle the day!  As far as Jordan goes, I know it will be a battle, but one we are going to put a stop to very soon.  Momma is tired!!



Breakfast:  Larabar
                    2 cups coffee

Lunch:   Chicken Salad
Dinner:  A Heaping Spinach Salad w/ Bacon, Red Onions, Eggs, and Tomatoes, oh and I had a roll that came with it.  :\

Yeah, I know I didn't eat much but it wasn't intentional.  I wasn't feeling myself today, must have been the lack of sleep!

Got to bed at 7:30pm.  Perfect.

~kat

0 comments:

Post a Comment