Monday, July 4, 2011

FL Countdown - Day 53: Cooking Finally!!

Wow, me and Jordan were pretty zapped of energy yesterday so I can actually say we stayed home and enjoyed the peace and quiet (with a nice long nap).  Anyway, I was finally able to do some cooking so I'm back to feeling slightly domesticated since my husband has been away.

I have recently fallen in love with eggplant but have been scouring the internet for paleo friendly dishes and came upon this yummy fried eggplant dish courtesy of  Paleo Girls. Sleep. Love. Eat.  I'll add the picture once my less-than-smartphone decides to cooperate with me.  Since I did not have almond flour or coconut flour, I went ahead and used almond meal instead for the paleo breadcrumbs. 

My dad was also having a hankering for some gazpacho, so we tested out a recipe we found online.  Gazpacho is a Spanish cold soup that is usually made in the summer months.  It is refreshing and flavorful during those warm summer days (in Spain, obviously not here in the PNW).

Shrimp Gazpacho:
- 30 shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cucumber, remove seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 water
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno
- cilantro, we used about 1/2 c packed (or so)
- 2 tbs. Sherry Vinegar
- salt and pepper
- avocado (for topping)

Directions:  Put 1 can of tomatoes, water, and olive oil in food processor and blend.  Add all chopped veggies, shrimp, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Place in refrigerator for a few hours before serving.  Tastes the best the next day after the soup has had a chance to sit.
Good. Refreshing.  Best of all. Healthy :)
Meals for the Day:
Breakfast:  2 Eggs w/ Avocado and Trader Joe's Chicken & Apple Sausage
Lunch:  Uhh.. I slept through it :)
Snack:  Cherries, Blueberries, and Strawberries
Dinner:  Baked Salmon, Fried Eggplant, Corn on the Cob, and a little Flank Steak
Dessert:  Halo-Halo..  Filipino ice-cream dish with black beans and fruits.  Omg, let me just tell you that going dairy-free and finally eating dairy really upset my stomach and add the sugar to that mix - ugh!  It'll be while before I decide to "cheat" again!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment